Children of Mary came to America when Mother Etienne Hall, DC received the patent signed by Most Honored Fr. Etienne for the establishment of the Association at St. Joseph Academy in Emmitsburg, Maryland.
The first recording is in 1853 with the commitment of 19 girls.
In 1852, the Daughters of Charity journeyed from Emmitsburg to San Francisco via the Isthmus of Panama to establish an orphanage and school.
Children of Mary came to the Western United States when Sr. Francis McEnnis, DC received the patent and Archbishop Alemany received the children into the Association.
The Roman Catholic Orphan Asylum was established in 1852 in San Francisco, California. Four years later in 1856, the Children of Mary Association was established in the orphanage.